Ra TBS Alpha release:
Ra TBS Alpha is a fully functional tactical battle system script and has what it needs to support developing basic tactical-battle-based games but it is missing many features that would give it the feel of a fully developed system, hence this is only an alpha, not a beta. The script is not completely finished yet.
The purpose of this release is for me to get a better sense of how many bugs there are in the script right now and to help me to get an idea of the direction I should head with the script. I don’t recommend using this version of the script in any serious projects you’re making, this is really just a checkpoint for me right now. This version of the script will not be supported once the full version is finished.
Some of the features included in the Alpha:
- Turn based Tactical Battle System
- No transitions to another map
- Normal Attacks + Skills
- Specific Skill ranges (not just boxes or circles)
- Area of effect skills
- Action Restrictions
- Custom Win and Loss conditions
- Team Colors
- Producible Units
- Unit costs
- Individual unit items
- Speed settings
- Use Actors and/or Enemies as Units
- Equip armor/weapons per unit if Actor
- Gain Experience during battle
- Terrain Passability Options
- Equipment Range and Action Modifiers
- Simple AI
- Supports Large Maps with many units
- + lots more
These are some of the features I want to add for the final version:
- True AI
- Capture Structures and Resource Locations
- Gain funds based on resources owned
- Allow units to interact with events and pickup items
- traps to deal damage when a unit walks over them
- Varying travel speeds over different terrain
- Weather effects movement speed
- Restrict skill usage by terrain tag used on/terrain tag targeted
- Restrict skill usage/target by unit ‘type’
- Units carrying other units (like a person unit getting into a plane unit)
- Scenes after win/loss showing battle stats
- Option to flip event self switches on state activation
- Simple Fog Option
- Additional teams
- Overlay image after using a skill (multi-turn aoe skills)
- Better Terrain passability settings
- Easy script calls to change control of unit
- Easy script calls to place a new unit on field after using a skill/item
- Highly and easily customizable behavior on death (ex unit body stays and can be revived later)
- Skills/items that push units around when used
- Counter attacks, Unit guarding, directional blocking, Unit charging.
Current Problems and changes that need to be made:
- Need data organization class for displaying results/ exp
- Remodel turn control flow
- Ai needs to be worked on heavily and slightly remodeled lots of stupid behavior currently.
- Lots of other small features need to be implemented (end battle after x turns, extra party organization features, more intuitive unit placement and easier item organization, etc.)
Current Known Bugs:
Text is cut off in a few windows
Sometimes the game will get stuck on the ai’s turn. I believe this happens when an enemy unit is destroyed during the ai’s turn. The script is waiting for that enemy to finish moving but it never does of course and so the player never gets another turn.
There are lots of problems with ai, these are not really bugs, they’re just examples of poor behavior. The ai will be completely reworked with new logic
for the final version of the script.
- Jumps aren’t counted properly, so ai units can sometimes move more times than they should be able to
- Ai won’t pick the optimal tile to hit when using aoe skills
- Ai will try to target its unit even if it was removed from the map
- Several units may try to move to the same square and won’t pick a new location to move to even if there are plenty available, instead they will just “line-up”, all of them trying to move to the one square.
- The ai won’t attack its target if it is within range but the ai unit couldn’t find a path to get to the location it wanted to go to.
Please make suggestions for what you want to see in the script and any other ideas or problems you have.
Demo: v1.5 (Updated 4June2013)
Compatibility Addons (Alpha – paste these under the tbs classes and modules): YF Random Skill Invoke Compatibility- v0.1 (Updated 14April2013)
– Talk to the man right in front of you with the straw hat to get started. You can produce units just south of the player’s location at the white circle.